Finding A Genetic Algorithm Fish Video

Help me find an old clip on genetic programming AI.

A few years ago I saw a fascinating video on genetic programming. Some researchers had created a computer program that acted as a kind of virtual fish tank, and using genetic algorithms evolved creatures that swam in it out of block-like parts. The video was of the various blocky "creatures" swiming, wriggling, and flopping around the virtual world. Does anyone have any information on this video, and a way of getting a copy, if possible? It might have been a SIGGRAPH presentation, but I'm not really sure.
posted by unreason to Computers & Internet (4 answers total) 4 users marked this as a favorite

Here it is.
posted by mathowie at 3:19 PM on February 13, 2007

There's a screensaver that you can download that implements the same algorithm. It evolves locomotive masses of blocks.

The program is called BreveCreatures and it's a demo application for a genetic algorithm framework called Breve
posted by demiurge at 3:56 PM on February 13, 2007

That was fast. Mathowie, you are awesome!
posted by unreason at 6:49 PM on February 13, 2007

you'd probably also be interested in karl sims' blockies. some of the most significant evolutionary programming results, imho.
posted by paradroid at 7:27 PM on February 13, 2007

« Older My watercooler at work has a h...   |  Can you describe what mold sme... Newer »