Talk me into/out of a MacBook.
January 31, 2007 10:22 AM Subscribe
I want a MacBook. I
need a new laptop, and they're pretty. Please talk me out of (or into) buying one.
posted by corvine to Computers & Internet (51 answers total) 8 users marked this as a favorite
My old laptop (formerly running XP, now running Debian) is 4 years old, slow, the battery holds charge for all of two minutes, and the screen hinges no longer keep the screen upright - it needs to be propped up. It's usable for standard Internet browsing and nethack, and that's about it. I don't strictly *need* to replace it. But it's not exactly portable any more, the MacBooks are pretty, and I have a hankering for a new toy...
- new OS to play with
- not Windows
- I get the impression OSX is pretty unix-like, and I like that
- old laptop is pretty well knackered
- mac = the pretty
- hey, a portable laptop. fancy that.
- can watch films on the move/in bed/etc
- justifying the expense - a PC laptop would be cheaper
- I could keep going with the old laptop if I had to
- most of the Fors apply to any old laptop - I'd just end up wiping a Windows one and putting Debian on it.
I really just want some advice and experiences from MacBook owners and general Apple/Linux types. Why should I buy one? Why not? If I go for the MacBook I'd probably like to set up a dual-boot OS X/Linux at some point, just for fun - anyone know how doable this is in practice? I'm techie and comfortable with Linux installation and sysadmin.
I've considered picking up a used iBook from eBay. I don't really have the upfront cash for it, but I could go that route if the hive mind recommends. £800 is really the top end of my budget. I know that OS X Leopard's out soon and I'll wait for that if I do decide to go for it. Please help me decide (and convince my husband)!