December 23, 2006 9:30 AM Subscribe
My microwave is driving me nuts!
posted by backseatpilot to home & garden (20 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite
My apartment's wiring is run through a single 20-amp circuit breaker (six floors down in the laundry room). My microwave (which came with the apartment) draws a pretty nasty current spike when it turns on. Every now and then it will trip the circuit breaker, which means I have to go down to the laundry room to reset the breaker.
Here's the thing, though - there seems to be no correlation to the amount of power being drawn elsewhere in the apartment. I can turn off every piece of electronics, shut off all the lights, and it might still trip the breaker. I could have my computer, TV , and refrigerator all running and it won't trip the breaker.
What's the solution to this problem? How do I prevent my microwave from shutting down my apartment? Will replacing the microwave help?
Some more information:
-The microwave draws 1200W, according to the tag on the inside.
-The microwave is plugged in to the same outlet as the fridge.
-There are no other appliances in my apartment that trip the breaker (vacuum, big box fan, sound equipment all work fine).