Should I get an agent?
September 7, 2006 1:19 PM   Subscribe

As a video editor, should I get an agent?

I've been steadily building up my reel over the last 24 months with a feature, a handfull of shorts, some motion graphics and marketing material. I've had some success and made a bit of money but I think the time is right to take my career more seriously before I have to apply for that wait staff position again. My goal is to eventually join A.C.E.

Do editors (Avid, Final Cut, After Effects) often have agents? I hear a "full service agency" might be what I need, but frankly I don't know (which is why I'm asking here!!)

Thanks for an insight... (I live in L.A.)
posted by rocco to Work & Money (2 answers total) 2 users marked this as a favorite
 
yes, editors are repped or attached to editing houses. check out the usual suspects: cosmo street, smuggler, tool of north america, biscuit filmworks. look at the gfx houses ... fuel, stardust, etc pp. not sure who reps editors but yes, they have representation.
posted by krautland at 1:29 PM on September 7, 2006


At our post facility the in-house producers take care of pushing our editors. All the freelance editors that I know rep themselves.

If you're looking to become a career editor, then I would look into working for a post facility before trying to freelance full time. Don't expect to get hired as an editor though, you'll likely have to assist first.

80% of our jobs is building relationships with people. The other 20% is a combination of artistic and technical knowledge.

Establishing relationships with producers and directors early on is worth far more than what an agent is going to drum up for an editor.
posted by ISeemToBeAVerb at 9:06 AM on September 8, 2006


« Older What gym would you recommend in Manhattan or...   |   The brown can is getting lighter and lighter. Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.