Browser times out but ping, nslookup, and tracert work (WinXP). Why?
May 29, 2006 7:37 AM Subscribe
On my WinXP Pro laptop I can ping, nslookup, and tracert to whatever address I like, but no browser can load any pages, even by IP address. I get connection timeouts 100% of the time. Why, and how can I fix it?
posted by Songdog to computers & internet (14 answers total)
I have broadband access, shared in my home network via a router. Other machines are working as normal via this router. I'm running Kerio Personal Firewall but it makes no difference if I disable it. I've tried disabling and re-enabling the network adapter, I've tried flushing the DNS cache, I've tried releasing and renewing, I've tried "repairing" the connection. No dice. I have a perfectly good IP address assigned from my router (which I've tried rebooting). As stated above I can run "nslookup metafilter.com" and get an IP address, and I can tracert and ping by domain name or IP address, but when I try to browse to either a name or IP address I get a connection timeout. I've tried Firefox (my usual browser) and IE, both of which worked before.
Grudging admission #1, which will make some of you dismiss this as a wireless networking, issue: everything works fine when I try a wired connection. However, I'm sure it's not an issue with WiFi per se, because I can see the net, just not in a browser.
Grudging admission #2: Everything worked fine until I used the same machine to connect to a shared connection via Bluetooth the other day. The notebook has a built-in Bluetooth adapter, which I normally disable unless I'm using my Bluetooth mouse. I recently used a USB dongle to share an internet connection from another machine when I had no other way to get my notebook online. That worked just fine, and I didn't have to change any settings outside of those specific to the Bluetooth adapter and connection. I suspect, however, that as a side effect and to spite me for messing with an otherwise stable configuration, something has gone awry with the WiFi network connection/adapter in somewhere in Windows, even though I didn't directly change this adapter. How can I change it back?
Since it seems like the solution might be the same, I'm going to ask about a second problem: a friend of mine just asked for my help fixing her network, which is similarly afflicted: she also has broadband and WinXP, though she has one machine and no router. She can ping, nslookup, and tracert as well. But Firefox can't load any pages. IE can load some pages but bombs out on others (notably all secure HTTP connections). She can run her AOL client and access email. I'm hoping that fixing one of our problems will illuminate the solution to the other.
I have been all over in Google looking for answers to this sort of problem but I'm apparently not clever enough to find such answers, though they must exist somewhere. When I learn the solution to this myself I'll shout it from the rooftops!