Best weird/alternative places to go in NYC
May 17, 2006 6:45 AM Subscribe
I'm going to NYC for a week in September. I need recommendations of the best alternative/weird/unusual/eye-opening places in Manhattan.
posted by pollystark to Travel & Transportation around New York, NY (40 answers total) 40 users marked this as a favorite
I'm going to NYC for a week in September.
I want to experience the unusual side of NYC - avoid the mainstream, any kind of tourist sight-seeing, the big shops etc. With that in mind, I would love to hear recommendations (with descriptions - not just a list of names) of awesome examples of places to go to in Manhattan that fall into the following categories:
* Somewhere that is deserted and dusty and eerie - an old warehouse, an abandoned street or whatever.
* A squat that has fun events (music, art, workshops, talks, films, whatever).
* A queer (not gay) hangout.
* Clothes shops that sell unusual/alternative/strange things.
* The best music shop for hardcore/grind.
* Somewhere that is publically accessible but relatively deserted where you can get up really, really high and look over the city.
* The best burger bar.
* Local bands that gig a lot in NYC who just must be seen by someone who likes hardcore/punk-rock/grind/queercore.
* A great bookshop with a leaning towards anarchism or radical politics or music or queerness.
* A good place where people are doing interesting radical politics (a bar, a club, a squat, a street, a meeting).
* A random place that I haven't covered here that I really should go to.