iPhoto without iLife?

I have iPhoto2 on my Mac but after 3.5 years I find it pretty lame, so I decided to buy iPhoto6: but then I found out it comes bundled with iLife 06, ie 7 Gb of other programs I don't really want or need. I have about 11 Gb of free disk space. Is there a way to find a simple copy of iPhoto6 or, say, even iPhoto4? It should be about 600-700 Mb, I suppose. thanks!
posted by PenguinBukkake to Technology (12 answers total)

You can buy iLife '05 at a pretty deep discount these days. It includes iPhoto 5 and it's going for $27 on Amazon. I don't remember if the installer lets you just install one program separate from the rest, but if it doesn't you can always trash GarageBand et al since Apple's programs are quite self-contained.
posted by bcwinters at 11:42 AM on April 25, 2006

Use Pacifist. That's what I did (I didn't want GarageBand, iWeb, etc.).
posted by Yeomans at 11:50 AM on April 25, 2006

I can't recall if the installers are seperate for each app...but Pacifist (search versiontracker.com) will allow you to extract bundles - permitting you to grab a key piece from tiger you accidentally deleted (like a utlitiy); and will likely work in this case.
posted by filmgeek at 11:51 AM on April 25, 2006

You can't just buy iPhoto, no. If you buy iLife you can choose not to install the other things in the installer. If your mac is old check the system requirements for the version of iLife you're buying.
posted by neustile at 11:54 AM on April 25, 2006

well, I'd mark all answers as best, thanks a bunch!
I just called a friend who told me that the huge file is GarageBand, that I don't really need anyway, so if I get iLife 05 as suggested by bcwinters I'll just need about 250 Mb to install iPhoto and iMovie only
thanks a lot!
posted by PenguinBukkake at 12:14 PM on April 25, 2006

and Pacifist sounds very cool!
posted by PenguinBukkake at 12:15 PM on April 25, 2006

At least with the version I have, you don't have to install everything. (iLife 06)

Just do a custom install and unselect everything you don't want to install. You don't need Pacifist for that. No need to over-complicate everything. ;-)

And by all means, check the system requirements before you buy.
posted by drstein at 12:17 PM on April 25, 2006

You might also want to look at Kodak EasyShare. It's free and it does work fine with other cameras besides Kodak's. I used to use it in lieu of iPhoto. It doesn't do RAW, which is why I eventually went back to iPhoto with version 6, but I still have a lot of my older photos in EasyShare; it's easier to just leave them there than to move them to iPhoto.
posted by kindall at 12:57 PM on April 25, 2006

I neglected to mention that the reason I used EasyShare back in the day was because iPhoto's performance sucked badly, and EasyShare was much faster. If that's your dilemma too, definitely check it out.

(The new iPhoto is much faster and I can recommend it as well, but if you're leery of spending the money, especially if you're not going to use the various other parts of iLife...)
posted by kindall at 1:00 PM on April 25, 2006

iDVD is also huge, because of the video templates. To your question, I got iLife '06 and only installed iPhoto and iMovie due to limited disk space and it worked just fine.

Personally, I think iPhoto '06 is way better than '05 and worth the movie. The full screen editing mode is that good.
posted by smackfu at 1:21 PM on April 25, 2006

Both iLife 05 and 06 allow you to pick which applications to install, no Pacifist required.
posted by majick at 5:24 PM on April 25, 2006

Not directly on point, but if you're looking for a very decent app that beats the pants off of iPhoto and does much of its stuff (and more), give GraphicConverter a try. I've been very happy with it even since my days in Mac OS 9.
posted by WCityMike at 6:47 PM on April 25, 2006

« Older Why was there no effort made t...   |  I'm dating a girl who's 19 in ... Newer »