US-India dual citizenship
April 11, 2006 1:37 PM Subscribe
I have some questions about dual citizenship (U.S.-Indian).
posted by anjamu to law & government (18 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite
Background: my boyfriend was born in India and moved to the States when he was about 5. Sometime (shortly) before he hit the age of majority, his parents became naturalized citizens and by extension so did he.
I have been encouraging him to pursue dual citizenship for sometime but I have an ungodly number of questions about the process. A major reason I'd like him to do so is that it's extremely difficult for non-Indians to a) buy property in India and b) adopt children there, both of which are things we might want to one day do. (Correct me if I'm wrong on either of those counts, by the way.)
Now for my questions:
1) Will this cause problems, security clearance-wise for either of us (I'm an American native)? Neither of us has ruled out working for the government at some point in time.
2) Should potential politicians steer clear of obtaining dual citizenship?
3) Dual citizens: what are some of the pros and cons of your dual citizenship?
4) Indians or Indian-Americans: advice?
5) Anything else I should know?