Can I drive from San Diego to Portland and have a good time?
March 23, 2006 12:24 PM Subscribe
Driving from San Diego to Portland: how do I plan a pleasant 3-day trip up the west coast?
posted by junkbox to Travel & Transportation around Portland, OR (21 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite
We're east coasters who haven't seen much of California; I have this idea that it might be fun to fly out to San Diego and visit friends there, then spend a few days driving up to Portland to see other friends in Oregon, then fly back from the northwest. I'd like to do this with a minimum of hassle and a maximum of enjoyment.
- Leave San Diego on Monday, get to Portland on Wednesday
- Drive at least part of the trip on US101, to see some of the vistas we easterners can only enjoy in car commercials.
- See a bit of wine country, though we're a bit more Sonoma than Napa
- Spend as little time as possible around LA and San Francisco, and avoid long traffic delays
- Locate nice/interesting (either the hotel or the town) places to stay for $200 a night or less
No particular need to hit Yosemite, the redwoods, or every tourist attraction on the California coast. Just a yen to enjoy ourselves, travel leisurely and see some cool stuff as we go along.
- Best time of day/route to pass through LA and San Francisco to avoid traffic delays?
- Best parts of US101 to drive and enjoy?
- Can US101 get me there in 3 days? Are there convenient ways to speed up my trip without going too far out of my way?
- Cool places to stay within a comfortable drive (5-6 hours) north of San Diego? What about after that, 10-12 hours north of San Diego?
I am also open to the idea that I am a naive tourist with no clue about how this should be done; please feel free to disabuse me of my silly dreams and set me straight, just do it kindly.