Grounding my old Marantz stereo amp in a two-prong outlet? (We're talking American 110v.)
Right. So. I've moved into my new, old apartment. How old is it?
It's so old that I was greeted with warnings of lead-based paint. Also troubling are the rooms' uniform, two-prong outlets.
I've got an old Marantz stereo amp/receiver through which I run my digital audio (model escapes me; probably has a "3000" in it? Not extremely valuable, but still.). It features a grounding post, to which I've formerly attached a regular three-prong extension cord (with the hot and common wires taped up). Plugged into a three-prong outlet, this connects the stereo's ground to the building's own wiring, and stops the speaker buzz.
Obviously, that solution doesn't work now. I've got a few of the common type of adaptor seen below, which have a little a little metal ground tab and a sternly embossed admonition to connect this to the building's ground. More explicit instructions, I assume, were excised for reasons of space. Such considerations mean nothing here, AskMeFi, so please go to it!