I need to buy a recorder and microphone(s) to record an oral history.
I will be taking an oral history over the next several months for a project of the American Bar Association. I currently have no equipment, and I have received the following guidelines:
1) I must record to a standard cassette;
2) I should use an external microphone, or two external microphones if lavalier mics;
3) The quality of the recorder itself matters less than the quality of the microphone(s) and tapes used;
4) The equipment should be easy to transport – small and lightweight, if possible;
5) My budget for all the equipment is $100 to $150.
With these three guidelines, what cassette recorder and microphone(s) should I buy? This
looks like it would be a good setup for this project, but are there other, better options out there?
Also, while I would prefer to use minidisc, a hard-drive or flash-based recorder, the transcription service I will be using will accept only standard cassette tapes.