Skip

Is it ok for a dog to drink Gatorade?
November 19, 2005 1:22 PM   Subscribe

Is it ok for a dog to drink Gatorade?

I was out hiking with my 90lb yellow lab and ran out of water. Since I had Gatorade, I just gave him that... and he eagerly lapped it up.

He seems fine, of course. In the future, though, is it ok to give your dog Gatorade instead of water? Is it good for him in the same way that it's good for me?
posted by ph00dz to Pets & Animals (7 answers total)
 
It's just water, sugar, salt and flavoring.
posted by stavrogin at 1:59 PM on November 19, 2005


My boss gives dogs at our doggie daycare center [unflavored] Pedialyte (which she says her vet recommends) when they're vomiting/at risk for dehydration. I think Gatorade's similar. I wouldn't do it regularly, though--no reason to give him the extra sugar and chemicals if you have plain water around.
posted by needs more cowbell at 2:08 PM on November 19, 2005


I'd say it's fine. (But I'm not a vet).

My only concern would be the sugar: dogs don't brush their teeth. For that reason alone, I wouldn't make a habit of it.
posted by teece at 2:08 PM on November 19, 2005


The 'electrolytes' in Gatorade are just salt and a salt of potassium. All life needs that stuff to live. Your dog will be fine. There are only a few substances that are fine for humans and not OK for dogs. I give Tinkerbell red whine and marijuana all the time, and she's never had a problem.
posted by Paris Hilton at 2:57 PM on November 19, 2005


With the option of letting him go thirsty and becoming dehydrated on a hike? Gatorade is definitely a good choice.

Threadjack: Does your lab like milk at all? Mine will scarf up any milk if I put a glass down next to my recliner, but doesn't do that with water or soda or anything else.
posted by disillusioned at 5:07 PM on November 19, 2005


My childhood dog got very sick (I was 8 or 9 at the time so wasn't in on the diagnosis, other than "might not make it"), and the vet prescribed, among other measures, substituting Gatorade for water in her dish while she was recovering. So if a vet prescribes it for week-long use..... (Aforementioned mutt lived 12 more years, to a ripe old age of 14.)
posted by availablelight at 6:18 PM on November 19, 2005


Note on threadjack: milk can cause diarrhea in many cats and dogs, so your pooch's milage may vary.....
posted by availablelight at 6:19 PM on November 19, 2005


« Older Half-remembered children's Boo...   |  I need a housecleaner / housek... Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.


Post