Delicious Caribbean-style sandwiches in DC?

A couple weeks ago I went to Paseo and had a life-changing sandwich experience. Now that I'm back in the other Washington (DC), I'd like to find the next best thing. Where are these types of sandwiches available in the District? (Must be transit-accessible.)

The two sandwiches I tried and adored were the Grilled Pork and the Havana Seared Scallops. What I'm looking for is the same set of ingredients: crusty bread + garlicky aioli + spicy meat + caramelized onions + greens.

I'm not looking for either a cubano sandwich or a recipe to make the Paseo sandwiches - I already know where to get both of those.

One thing I did find by Googling that looked semi-promising is Sophie's Cuban Cuisine. Has anyone here been?
posted by capricorn to Food & Drink (5 answers total) 8 users marked this as a favorite
Sundevich's Kingston has jerk chicken, pineapple salsa, greens, spicy slaw, garlic mayo. Could sub out the pineapple salsa for some caramelized onions if you want. Their bread is exceptional, too. Metro accessible.
posted by troika at 9:52 AM on September 3, 2014

Mothership in Park View doesn't seem to have a recent menu online but from what I can dig up/remember, they have similar sandwiches:

: Puerto Rican Twice Cooked Pork with Salvadoran Slaw & Spicy Guava Sauce

Ho Chi Banh Mi: Viet Style Turkey meatloaf, Tamarind-Spicy Mustard BBQ, Green Mango/Papaya Slaw, Baby Arugula, Cilantro (Substitute Tofu = Vegan)

Asher Huey (Super Defender of the Universe):
 Grilled Marinated Tofu, Spicy Guava Sauce, Pickled Onions, Mango Slaw, 
Baby Arugula, Cilantro (vegetarian)

Sorry to be dominating your answers, I had a similar urge for Caribbean-y sandwiches after seeing the movie Chef.
posted by troika at 10:00 AM on September 3, 2014

This is not the same sandwich but a great DC sandwich that shares many of the virtues as the sandwich you're looking for is the roast pork with broccoli rabe at Bub and Pop's.
posted by escabeche at 10:37 AM on September 3, 2014

I have eaten at Sophie's and had the Cuban sandwich. Quite yummy but not exactly the same ingredients. Lyman's at 14th & Quincy had a special roast pork sandwich recently that was wonderful and sounds like the one you had.
posted by Cocodrillo at 1:33 PM on September 3, 2014

Fast Gourmet near U Street may have some sandwiches that fit the bill.
posted by forkisbetter at 4:36 PM on September 3, 2014

« Older In seven weeks, I'm having sin...   |  So the significant other is re... Newer »