Help me help my angry vagina
August 13, 2014 8:38 PM Subscribe
Can you have a yeast infection with a negative culture? I have all the standard symptoms, but they do not go away with treatment and two cultures have come back negative. More info inside.
posted by anonymous to Health & Fitness (13 answers total) 2 users marked this as a favorite
Symptoms have been plaguing me for the past 2 months or so: itching, sore feeling, thick white discharge with no odor. They have gone away at times, but always come back in a couple weeks. A course of Monistat and three Diflucan pills have not alleviated the problem. I have had multiple doctors check me out and they always say that it looks just like yeast, but I have had two swabs done and the cultures have come back negative both times (“no yeast cells identified“). I was sent home today with no prescription and a helpful diagnosis of “I seriously have no idea, come back if it gets worse.“
- I am in my mid-20s and otherwise in good health.
- I live in Canada and do not have my own GP, so I have been forced to rely on walk-in clinics and see different doctors every time which has made this more difficult. If I managed to get a referral to a gynaecologist, it would probably take several months.
- I have also been tested for BV, Trich, Gonorrhea, Chlamydia, Syphilis and HIV. All negative. I had a pH test done (one of the little paper strips) and it was also normal.
- I already: only wear cotton underwear (which I wash in hot water, put through the dryer twice and iron between wearings) if I wear any at all, wear skirts without tights, sleep naked, take lukewarm showers only, never douche or use wet wipes, never soap my junk, eat tons of yogurt and probiotics, have cut down on my sugar and alcohol consumption, etc.
- I was sexually active before this whole mess started, but have not had any sexual contact since, so I am not passing anything back and forth with my boyfriend
- I am not on birth control or any other daily medication. I have not taken antibiotics for the past year.
- I have read about vulvodynia as a possible explanation, but it does not explain the discharge I have which is definitely abnormal
I know YANMD, but since my MDs have not helped much maybe someone has some experiences or advice. This is incredibly frustrating and stressful and I am seriously at my wits end here. I have read a lot about alternative remedies for YIs, but those are probably besides the point if I do not even have one in the first place. Is it possible to have a yeast infection despite a negative culture? Are there any other tests I could ask for or possibilities I could pursue?