Buddhist baby blessing

A couple of weeks ago, my newborn son and I received a blessing from a Buddhist monk, in hospital here in the UK. He recited some words to each of us in a foreign language, and then tied yellow threads on our wrists. I would love to know what the words meant, and the significance of the thread, if anyone knows? Thanks!
posted by prune to Religion & Philosophy (1 answer total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

The thread is supposed to symbolize a bit of the Buddha's robe. In different traditions it can be red or yellow. It's called a blessing cord and it's usually used to remind the wearer of the 3 refuges - Buddha (or Buddha-nature which everyone has), Dharma (truth or the way things are), and Sangha (community).

Blessing cords are common and not limited to one type of blessing; unfortunately I don't know anything about baby blessings in particular.
posted by Cygnet at 2:58 AM on August 8 [4 favorites]

« Older Tell me about ancient engiinee...   |  I've recently, sparked by Colt... Newer »