Best, Cheap Technology for a Science Classroom
July 30, 2014 10:26 AM Subscribe
I'm really trying to expand the use of digital technology in my classroom. Unfortunately, the resources at my school are fairly limited. However, I do have access to $1200 in grant money, assuming I can write a compelling enough proposal.
Help me find some affordable tech for my classroom! Needs of class inside.
posted by thelastpolarbear to Technology (5 answers total) 3 users marked this as a favorite
Here's what I want my students to be able to do:
- record short digital videos with voiceover. The ability to edit these is a bonus, but I'm fine with Vine style "turn-on/turn-off" editing
- take pictures and share them online somehow
- access the web
- occasionally it would be cool if I could have them type with a Bluetooth keyboard
- access to Google Docs
- GPS compatibility/geotagging for field projects
Would Be Nice if I Can Afford It
- access to some sort of Arduino app that can upload code via USB to Arduino devices
- Flash and Java compatibility is nice if it's possible
- some kind of Vernier-compatible app
I obviously can't get a classroom set for 32 students with $1200, but I think I should be able to buy 8 devices for that money, which means I could have students work in groups of 4 and share a tablet. Any ideas for what kind of devices would meet my criteria, and ideas for getting those affordably, are greatly appreciated!
(Also, go ahead and throw ideas for other ways to use the tech you preach while you're at it!)