Help me make an epic home made cream of mushroom soup.
I have been craving cream of mushroom soup. My husband has this weird "no soups in the summer because it is hot" thing but I have managed to convince him to have mushroom soup with me tonight. Hurray! I want to make my own home made one that is so good he will feel dumb for ever thinking it isn't an all-year-long meal.
Way back in the day my mother once made a home made mushroom soup that was really really good. I just called her and she thinks THIS
is the recipe. I'm not so sure because I vaguely remember tarragon, but maybe I'm wrong. I can just use the Julia Child recipe (minus the gluten) but I was wondering if anyone here has an epic home made mushroom soup recipe that can top it.
An idea mushroom soup would be:
- really mushroom-y
- rich, creamy, and smooth (obviously chunks of mushrooms are fine)
- fairly thick (watery soups need not apply)
- gluten free, no shellfish (husband is allergic)
- doesn't make a gigantic dinner party amount. We're two people.
- filling enough to serve as a meal all on its own (my husband often grumps that he is hungry an hour after eating soup for supper)
- not super high carb
- comes together fairly quickly. I'm looking for a come home from work and have supper on the table within an hour to an hour and a half. I'm willing to put in extra time if need be, but faster is better.
- I frankly don't want it to be all fussed about with added meats and whatnot, but if you have a recipe for mushroom soup that is SUBSTANTIALLY IMPROVED through the addition of a meat then fine, share away, but really I want this to be about the mushrooms.
- I also love cream of broccoli soup so if you have an amazing recipe for that, bring it on!