Anyone got a number for the Fairy Godmother?
July 7, 2014 3:10 PM Subscribe
I have to go to a family party in two weeks and I have a wardrobe full of rags. All my impossibly tall, willowy and well-dressed cousins will be there and for once I'd like to not feel like post-midnight Cinderella. Can you give me suggestions for styles that would suit me and also not cost one million pounds? Shops, blogs, personal anecdotes of outfits you have rocked...anything. Fashion-frustrating snowflakes within.
posted by billiebee to Clothing, Beauty, & Fashion (14 answers total) 2 users marked this as a favorite
I've put on weight recently for a variety of reasons, and my go-to outfits no longer fit me. My difficulties in finding something new are:
- I can't wear heels as I have a bad back, at best I could probably risk a low wedge.
- I don't want to show my upper arms because bingo wings.
- I don't want to show my legs because chunky thighs and cankles.
- Flats with jeans/fitted trousers make my legs look weird as they're short for my height and also again with the cankles.
Trying to find the good points:
- I'm not top heavy but I have a decent cleavage.
- I'm tallish (5'6).
- I have a small waist (relative to my butt anyway).
It's summer so while the other women will be wafting around in floaty minidresses I don't want to turn up wearing a full length black shroud (although that's what I feel like doing...)
So if you're a fellow chunky pear-shape who has found a killer dress, or you're good at putting outfits together and you can think of what would work, then I welcome your words of wisdom. I don't have a ton of money but I have some gift cards from a recent birthday for department stores. I live in the UK, so I don't need items from specific shops as much as a general idea of what to go for and I can try and find variations in the places available to me. Thank you!