Name that Bug, Cameroonian Edition

Found a rather strange insect while doing night work in the forest at Mbam et Djerem National Park, Cameroon. Neither I nor anybody on my field team can even assign them to order. Does anybody out there in the Hive Mind know what this is?

Further description: snow white, about a centimeter long, very fluffy. Accompanied by about ten others of the same species which all seemed to be just sort of aimlessly ambling and bouncing about all in the same spot (rather than working together like ants or termites). My field guide said that he sees them quite often, but was unable to give them a name. I myself haven't the foggiest idea. It's a mystery!
posted by Scientist to Science & Nature (5 answers total) 4 users marked this as a favorite

Flatid bug nymph?
posted by Ruki at 9:38 AM on July 6 [5 favorites]

My first guess was some kind of wooly aphid but I think Ruki's got it.
posted by jessamyn at 9:39 AM on July 6

Something related to an ensign coccid, maybe?
posted by alex1965 at 9:39 AM on July 6

Ruki has it for sure. Thanks! I figured it was likely some kind of nymph due to the lack of wings, but after that I was pretty lost. The mouthparts should've given it away. Thanks!
posted by Scientist at 9:43 AM on July 6 [2 favorites]

OMG THAT IS THE COOLEST BUG EVER!

posted by IAmBroom at 7:26 PM on July 6 [2 favorites]

« Older There are lots of interesting ...   |  Like most organizations, my co... Newer »