Help me find a handheld GPS that feels like it's from this century.
July 4, 2014 6:15 PM Subscribe
I want a GPS for geocaching and hiking in areas with no cell phone coverage. The ones I've seen so far look about as up-to-date as my Handspring Visor. Please advise.
posted by The corpse in the library to Sports, Hobbies, & Recreation (18 answers total) 6 users marked this as a favorite
When I'm geocaching in the city and suburbs, the app on my phone does a good enough job. When I get to rural areas and wilderness it does poorly. I'm looking for a handheld GPS to carry in dense woods and into the Cascades.
Qualities my ideal GPS would have:
- great reception in woods and mountains
- good for geocaching, trail running, hiking
- topo maps for Washington State
- carabiner clip
- easy to use
- easy to get geocaches from geocaching.com onto it using a Mac or iPhone
- standard batteries
- pleasing to the eye and hand