woe is my broken toe
June 27, 2014 5:12 AM Subscribe
Got a little too enthusiastic practicing my Zumba moves a couple days ago, and smashed my pinkie toe into the coffee table. Oops. How can I burn 500 calories a day through exercise, and avoid going stir crazy with a freshly broken toe?
posted by raztaj to Health & Fitness (11 answers total) 3 users marked this as a favorite
I miss exercise. I don’t want to regress on my 50+ lb weightloss, and have become a very active person - I'm going completely stir crazy. I really miss sweating, getting my heart rate up, and moving outdoors. Even just walking around doing errands. What kinds of exercises can I do that will give me a roughly 500 calorie burn, maybe 60-90 minutes a day, on a broken toe? I have access to a gym, but ideally things that I can do without a machine, and incorporate outdoors at the park?
Things that I’ve tried, that seem ok:
- using the elliptical at a low resistance
- simple squats (no weights)
- some bench exercises (tricep dips, etc)
- stationary bike machine (but not for more than 5-10 minutes)
That that do not seem ok
- rowing machine (strap over the foot causes painful pressure)
- stair climbing
- walking with shoes (going shoeless at home is ok though)
- yoga/pilates - I’m not patient enough for doing either. Peppy music is my workout buddy.
- Swimming (don’t have access to a pool)
Please help me move, sweat, and get some endorphins going!