Where should we go in Portugal in July, other than Lisbon?
June 13, 2014 10:01 AM Subscribe
I'm going to a conference in Lisbon in mid-July, but my partner and I are flying to Portugal 5 days early to check it out. We've never been before, and we'd like to explore somewhere other than Lisbon during that time--2 other towns at most. Which should we choose?
posted by Beardman to Travel & Transportation around Portugal (10 answers total) 2 users marked this as a favorite
Here are our basic preferences and constraints:
- Neither of us can drive, so easy access by train or reliable bus is a must.
- Since we don't have lots of time, somewhere within 3-4 hours of Lisbon would be preferable. (So probably not the north, right?)
- We'd like to relax, not party with tourists. Dining out, drinking wine, walking around old streets, etc.
- Something coastal would be ideal--somewhere with easy beach access that doesn't feel like Cancun.
- We like greenery more than dry natural scenery.
Thanks for any advice! All we've been told is that Peniche is nice, Sintra is a must-see, and that the Algarve is too touristy to bother with (does that apply to all of it?).