Neo-noir film from the last 10 years?

Help me remember the film I'm thinking of. Takes place in a small town in Kansas or Nebraska or somewhere. Raining hard throughout. Somebody has something valuable that he stole from a bad guy. Bad guy owns a bar. Beautiful woman seems like an ally but turns out to betray the protaganist. She is killed by him in the end. She is a Kim Basinger type. Protaganist is a John Cusack type. Bartender is an older actor with a biggish physique.
posted by stupidsexyFlanders to Media & Arts (6 answers total) 4 users marked this as a favorite

You might be thinking of The Ice Harvest, though a few of the details are different, like I don't think it was raining the whole time.
posted by gauche at 8:10 AM on June 13

Perhaps Red Rock West ?
posted by k5.user at 8:18 AM on June 13 [1 favorite]

This is just a guess, because I never saw the movie, but I remembered Minnie Driver had been in a film with some of those plot points. It was called Hard Rain.
posted by seasparrow at 8:20 AM on June 13

Could this be a misremembered Following?
posted by methroach at 9:17 AM on June 13

Ask me nails it, two minutes. Ice Harvest. I was right about Kansas, it wasn't rain, it was an ice storm, the Kim Basinger type was Connie Neilson, the biggish bartender was a strip club owner played by Randy Quaid, and the John Cusack type was John Cusack.
posted by stupidsexyFlanders at 9:35 AM on June 13

the John Cusack type was John Cusack

As it so often is.
posted by stopgap at 9:40 AM on June 13 [13 favorites]

« Older I'm planning an alumni party f...   |  What should be my nephew check... Newer »