Historical British Detective Novel(s)
June 8, 2014 1:24 PM Subscribe
I'm looking for suggestions for a book that could appeal to a diverse set of people (i.e. my family). Some historical fiction set in England/Scotland/Wales/Ireland, with a detective-style plot, seems like it would work. Suggestions?
posted by benito.strauss to Writing & Language (29 answers total) 28 users marked this as a favorite
For Father's Day we've got the idea to all read the same book, to give us something to chat about. The ideas so far are:
- We can all enjoy a detective story, with a mystery to investigate sending the protagonist multiple places.
- My brother likes English history, from Mercia up to the Tudors. Also the Welsh.
- My sister-in-law likes the Highland clans. Maybe a touch of the supernatural. "Let's go consult the local witch!"
- I like to read about pre-Roman practices that survived the Roman period.
- We really like stuff that lets you get the texture of the time and place. More historical detail than purple prose, though a nice last minute escape is always fun.
Things that are negatives:
- No retrojection of modern technology. Walter Raleigh with a magical device that works just like an iPhone? Nope.
- Re-purposing of the same, usual personalities. "Elizabeth Regina, Ninja Assassin" isn't for this crowd. Shakespeare doing stuff totally out of character would also be a turn-off.
- Books that are pitched as "Fantasy" or "Romance" probably won't work.
I'm betting MeFites will have a lot of suggestions for this. Thanks in advance.