What if Carhartt and 2(x)ist had a baby?

I need new clothes, and I would like, for once, clothes that look good. Significant bonus points if they signal modesty and I can do some physical work in them.

Hi,

I'm a man in possession of a medium build body with a prominent ass, and I'd like to dress more flatteringly. The catch is that my style tends strongly towards working clothes, and I'm a big fan of sturdily constructed, durable clothes. Think oiled cotton and plaid button-downs. With respect to cut, however, I'd like to show off the goods a bit more and stop owning only shirts that blouse when tucked in. I'm not fashionably rail thin, given my love affair with potatoes and beer, but I neither have a gut. Basically, I want outfits suitable for seducing Walt Whitman.

What brands and search terms should I use in finding my dream wardrobe? Do you have any relevant advice I haven't specified? I can spend some money, but I certainly can't afford (or do myself) the work to alter everything I wear.
posted by The Gaffer to Clothing, Beauty, & Fashion (7 answers total) 11 users marked this as a favorite

Duluth Trading Company?
posted by plinth at 6:13 PM on June 2 [3 favorites]

Try the Riggs line of pants from Wrangler, they're super durable with a nice fitted cut. In fact, I'm going to order a couple more pairs right now, having worn my older ones into the ground over the last couple years of hard use.
posted by contraption at 6:38 PM on June 2

My Whitmanesque friends wear Bonobos. Not sure how sturdy the pants are, but I do know they're all about flattering the man ass.
posted by roger ackroyd at 6:57 PM on June 2

The good news is that workwear has been/was kind of 'in' these past few years, which means that there are plenty of workwear clothes which are cut closer to the body. The bad news is that generally this tends to be a bit more expensive than 'regular' workwear.

My understanding is that Carhartt has a heritage line that is less generously cut (I've never tried it personally).

Filson (which is fairly expensive) has two different 'fits', one of which is slimmer than the other.

Having shirts altered is possibly not as expensive as you think ($10-$15), especially in comparison to buying new shirts.
posted by Comrade_robot at 7:09 PM on June 2 [2 favorites]

Carhartt actually made waves (or perhaps more accurately, ripples of puzzled laughter) a few year back, when they did a "tailored" offshoot. As someone who grew up in the middle of for-real workwear country, these items struck me as rather goofy, but since they literally answer your question, I thought they should be mentioned.

Most of the major brands with a history of supplying rugged clothes (Woolrich, Pendleton, etc.) have streamlined their cuts at least slightly, in recent times, in order to appeal to younger, trendier fans. For instance, I have a windbreaker/raincoat thing from Woolrich in a trim and flattering cut. L.L. Bean offers many of their mainline products in a "slim" fit, alongside their more billowy "traditional." I've found these to be just about perfect for my own medium-ish build. (Can't help with the butt thing, as mine is only "standard," at best.) Their "signature" brand goes even a bit trimmer, too. Land's End has a "tailored" option for most of their products; I find their exhaustive product dimension guidelines (usually available in PDF, for each product) to be very helpful in nailing fit. I am especially pleased with their waxed cotton jacket, which is a fantastic bargain and hits a really nice sweet spot between roomy and trim.

On the pricier end, various Japanese companies have made something of a fetish of vintage American work and military garb, combining obsessive replication with more modern profiles and occasional whimsy. Sounds like a bit of a hassle, though. And Brooks Brothers, while generally "dressy," has always had a foot in the world of flannels/field-wear. Their version of the "slim" cut is one of my personal favorites (they do an "extra slim," too.)

Nthing that altering an existing shirt can be accomplished for < $20, depending on how much needs to be done (and the local tailor landscape, obviously).
posted by credible hulk at 9:04 PM on June 2

Seconding Duluth!
posted by The 10th Regiment of Foot at 5:02 AM on June 3

Sierra Trading Post

and Duluth.
posted by humboldt32 at 9:28 AM on June 3

« Older My mom just got a check for a ...   |  I've been working with this sh... Newer »