Book fall flight US to Europe now or later (very light flurries inside)?
May 10, 2014 11:30 AM Subscribe
Planning Ahead Filter: My travel buddy already has a ticket on Airline A (ATL-LHR round trip) for our planned trip together in November. (Miles & awards redeemed so she is set). We're deciding what to do about my ticket.
posted by pointystick to Travel & Transportation around London, England (4 answers total) 2 users marked this as a favorite
Most desirable is for us to be on the same flight. However, there is a flight on Competitor B that leaves/arrives within 90 minutes of hers and there are likely more flights that are pretty close too.
Here are the options as I see them. Please help me think of what I may be missing and/or given your experience with booking in advance and prices, what might you decide?
1) Book my flight on Airline A now. Pros: I can get $100 off with my airline partner credit card, I get a seat with my friend, I get FF miles on my preferred airline, I'm done fretting about the trip. Cons: The ticket after the savings is $1250. Yow. I might do better by waiting.
2) Book my flight on Competitor B now. Pros: I get Economy Plus one way for about the same price as the other airline or regular for a bit cheaper. Cons: Not on same flight, not huge savings, still may do better by waiting.
3) Wait to buy. Pro: May get a sale if Europe in mid-late Nov proves to be unpopular. This is just one pro but a potentially big one. There are a lot of empty seats on my friend's flights. Cons: Prices may go up, I may miss my chance on either of these airlines and end up on ShoeBoxAir with a day layover in Podunk.
I'm torn on this one - I usually am great advising other people on issues like this but my anxiety is getting in my way since this is personal. Your wisdom would be welcome. Bonus for gentle, snarkfree answers :)