Suggestions for replacement for Google Maps "My Maps"?

I need a replacement for Google Maps that lets me store custom maps and locations.

I heavily use Google Maps, and specifically its "My Maps" functionality to store maps of places I want to visit, plan holidays, store friends and family addresses, places I've been etc. etc.

The update of Google Maps last year killed the my maps functionality. I rolled back to "Classic Maps" because I rely on this feature a lot, but well over 6 months down the line there is no sign Google is going to put this functionality back in, and I suspect its very likely they'll remove the option to keep using the classic maps soon.

I was very disappointed when Google killed Reader last year, but then discovered Feedly which is a much better RSS reader than GReader ever was. Can you recommend alternative customised maps platform that I can use on the Web and my Android smartphone - hopefully they may be even better than the old Google Maps. If there is a distance measurement tool (as there is in classic Gmaps but not new Gmaps) that would be a bonus.

posted by inbetweener to Computers & Internet (4 answers total) 9 users marked this as a favorite

Um… are you sure they killed it? I think it's just been renamed "my places". I also have a lot of saved maps, and they're all still there. You may have to click on the little gear icon in the lower right corner to see the "my places" menu selection.
posted by spudsilo at 8:22 AM on May 4 [1 favorite]

It's there. Just click in the search bar on the upper left corner and "My custom maps" will pop up as an option. From there you can choose from your most recent maps or see the list of all your maps. I use this feature daily.

P.S. You need to be logged into Google Maps, of course. Make sure you haven't been logged out.
posted by TinWhistle at 8:35 AM on May 4 [1 favorite]

Oops. Thanks very much for that TinWhistle. I hadn't realised that at all!

Question resolved!
posted by inbetweener at 9:45 AM on May 4

While both spudsilo and TinWhistle are correct that "My Maps" is still viewable from Google Maps, it should be noted that Google has separated out the creation and editing of custom maps to a separate site: mapsengine.google.com.

And if you use My maps on your mobile phone, you will have to have install the Maps Engine app to view your custom maps. I do not believe you can see them from the Maps app.
posted by comradechu at 12:18 PM on May 4 [2 favorites]

« Older I am in a new relationship, an...   |  Here is the youtube clip That ... Newer »