Help me find fiction books that make me feel happy and alive!
April 18, 2014 1:38 PM Subscribe
The last two books I've read, Mr. Penumbra's 24 Hour Book Store
and The Westing Game
have both made me feel the same way - happy, alive, joyous. By the end of each book, I was really rooting for the characters and their happiness. At the same time, I was feeling really good.
They were similar in some ways, but I can't really define the genre, so it's hard for me to look for similar books. Can people suggest books that meet some number of these qualifications?
posted by elmer benson to Grab Bag (29 answers total) 144 users marked this as a favorite
What I liked about these books:
- the were fun reads
- they were fiction
- they were fast reads (The Westing Game is YA fiction, but I'm not wedded to reading more YA)
- they were mystery-like without exactly being traditional mystery novels
- they both have a manageable number of characters
- the characters in both books had and built really good relationships with each other
- they both had a type of "coda" ending that explained what happened to the characters later
At the end of each of them, I felt really happy - for the characters and their friends and the situations they found themselves in.
Is this collection of attributes a type of book? What is it? What books can you suggest that evoked similar feelings, even if they don't match my parameters?