My dad the penny pincher
April 10, 2014 5:50 AM Subscribe
My dad's birthday is coming up. He is a special scone. Can you help?
posted by pintapicasso to Shopping (32 answers total) 4 users marked this as a favorite
He is stereotypically Yankee and hates when his kids spend money on him. I've tried the gift giving tactic of giving him a nicer version of something he currently uses but it doesn't go over well.
- Electrical engineer but not big into computers outside of work. Does not have a smartphone but I think he would love a customized photo case.
- Lots of outdoor hobbies. Keeps bees, meat birds, laying birds and goats.
- Bow hunter / regular hunter
- Although he spends the majority of his time outdoors he will not buy special clothing for this ( exception is camo for hunting). So, no fancy woolrich wool vests or jackets.
- Recently bought house in Florida with my mom and is very excited to start living there a few months out of the year
- Lives in Vermont
- Has no interest in anything related to male grooming
- Really likes Harry Potter
- Doesn't care about home decor
Gifts that have flopped
- Custom embroidered hat for his apiary (too flashy)
- Kitchen gadgets (frivolous)
- Locally handmade winter hats (foofy)
- Shaving brush and cream (nicer version of Gillette, foofy)
- Artisan black tea (nicer version of red rose, didn't like it)
- Long underwear (apparently not as nice as his holey ones)
- Handknit hats by me
- Game camera which he uses to spy on a beaver that is wreaking havoc on his property
- Homemade scones
- Framed photos of me and my sister
- A Harry Potter snuggie
His default gift is a plaid shirt from the gap and carhaarts. Both will be worn at work for years until they rip and are demoted to outdoor wear. He has tons of plaid shirts and carhaarts and doesn't need any more. He is a great dad and I want to get him something special. Any ideas?