Humane eggs/dairy/meat near Fall River, Mass?

What are the some places to buy lovingly and humanely raised eggs, dairy and meat near Fall River, Massachusetts?

Anything around Swansea? Providence? Westport? New Bedford? Taunton? Boston isn't as easy to reach.
posted by spbmp to Food & Drink (8 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

If Whole Foods isn't out of the question, there are a few in Providence.
posted by kinetic at 10:33 AM on April 6

There are a number of places:

Paskamansett Farm in Dartmouth, MA. They sell eggs, raw milk, in addition to beef and pork. But their eggs are not from truly free range chickens--although I could be wrong about that.

For eggs and chicken, the best place is probably Copicut Farm in Dartmouth. Their chickens are pastured.

You might also check out Lee's Market in Westport--they used to sell eggs from Copicut Farm but I am not sure if they still do.
posted by Seymour Zamboni at 10:43 AM on April 6 [1 favorite]

Is there an active Craigslist nearby? Sometimes you can find eggs in the farm & garden section if you do a search for "eggs."
posted by aniola at 11:21 AM on April 6

Fertile Underground in Providence sells a selection of local meats and eggs, as well as Rhody Fresh milk Narragansett Creamery cheeses and yogurts (these dairy products are readily available in most RI Whole Foods).

There's another, newer natural grocer in Providence that I've never been to, Willy's Local Foods.

There's a winter's farmer's market in Pawtucket on Saturdays.
posted by munyeca at 12:29 PM on April 6

For milk and (non-ultra pasteurized) heavy cream I like to go to Arruda's Dairy which is just a few minutes over the line into Tiverton on Stafford Road. I'm not sure what your standards are for "lovingly", but it's a small family-operated farm that doesn't use growth hormones.

Of course, the coffee milk is so good I might still go there even if they waterboarded the cows so YMMV.
posted by Freon at 12:41 PM on April 6 [1 favorite]

Eat Wild can help you search in your area.
posted by fireandthud at 5:55 PM on April 6

Lee's Market in Weatport has local eggs and cheese and some humane meats.
posted by alms at 8:21 PM on April 6

Thanks, many options to explore. I think I'll start with looking for Copicut at Lee's (and southcoast.craigslist.org/grd/ is showing some egg options as well.) From Eat wild, it looks like SE Mass and RI have some farms raising beef and lamb.
posted by spbmp at 6:21 AM on April 7

« Older What is the best topic with lo...   |  I think I remember from school... Newer »