What is the name of this font?? I must know.

Typographers of mefi, what is the name of this awesome font? You're my only hope. Thanks!
posted by lettuce dance to Media & Arts (10 answers total) 4 users marked this as a favorite

Which awesome font? There seems to be at least five different ones on that cover.
posted by Jimbob at 6:11 PM on March 30

I think there are multiple fonts on the cover of the book. Which are you interested in?
posted by hydra77 at 6:11 PM on March 30

Oops! Sorry y'all! A little drunk. I guess I figured they were all the same font but the lower case letters just looked slightly different. The font "American" is written in is the one of most import. Or the lower case font works too if you have the name of that. thank you guys!
posted by lettuce dance at 6:22 PM on March 30

Looks hand-drawn to me.
posted by Johnny Wallflower at 6:28 PM on March 30

Everything except the text at the very top looks hand-lettered to me. Compare the two As in "American" - the right legs are different widths.
posted by Metroid Baby at 6:29 PM on March 30

Looks hand lettered. I found a credit on Wikipedia for the guest cover artists. 2002 was J. Otto Seibold. Tons of fun styles, and they all look hand-lettered as well.
posted by mochapickle at 7:13 PM on March 30 [2 favorites]

Thanks! I know nothing about typeface but I loved this style and want to create something like it.
posted by lettuce dance at 7:21 PM on March 30

Though I agree that it looks hand-lettered, I asked WhatTheFont and here are some similar styles: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5.
posted by teremala at 7:21 PM on March 30 [3 favorites]

Ooh! I love those, teremala, especially #4!
posted by lettuce dance at 1:24 AM on March 31

I immediately thought of circus fonts. Here are some examples.
posted by CathyG at 6:33 AM on March 31 [1 favorite]

« Older Jehovah's witness have targete...   |  Apropos of absolutely nothing,... Newer »