3d scan + 3d print = replicator?

Things I would like to reproduce: 1) A very simple place setting that's been discontinued at IKEA (2 spoon sizes, 2 fork sizes & a knife) 2) A simple ceramic bowl my other half made that I broke. :( (Replica doesn't have to be ceramic, just has to be that shape.) Are there any services available that will scan a simple object in 3d and then print a copy of it? Is ZEUS the only way to do it?
posted by yoga to Technology (6 answers total)

Talk to your local hackerspace! There's one near you, and they can help you make this happen. A lot of people are using the Kinect from an xbox to do the 3D scanning part, and then using that to make the design files for the printer. It's neat! If you need help getting in touch with the hackerspace, shoot me a memail - I have their contact info.
posted by stoneweaver at 10:33 AM on March 26

I don't think that printing cutlery will work very well. The material is rough and not all that pleasant to eat with. But maybe you can polish it afterwards.

Yes, get thee to thy local hackerspace. We do the Kinect scanning thing at ours, too.
posted by Too-Ticky at 10:35 AM on March 26

It won't help with the bowl, but for the flatware, Replacements.com does in fact have IKEA listed. If they have your pattern, I suspect that'd be the cheaper/easier option.
posted by pie ninja at 10:36 AM on March 26 [1 favorite]

For the cutlery - you would probably be able to 3D print and then use that to make a cast. It would be *very* time intensive, but also a cool process.
posted by stoneweaver at 10:52 AM on March 26

If you are decent with a camera you might be able to do a pretty good scan with Autodesk's 123D Catch, or recap360 they also offer printing at a pretty decent price.

I have been doing some scanning with them, and it is fairly easy and a lot of fun.
The cutlery might be a bit of a problem, It has trouble with reflective surfaces. I would recommend, a dusting of flour or something matte before trying.

Feel free to memail me if you have any questions about the process. I always enjoy talking about this stuff.
posted by St. Sorryass at 5:04 PM on March 26

Check for food-grade filament.
posted by Bentobox Humperdinck at 5:11 AM on March 27

« Older I've heard stories from time t...   |  I'm choosing between 2 laptops... Newer »