A senior manager keeps tabs on everything and tattles on me
March 22, 2014 4:51 AM Subscribe
How do I keep my job if a manager hates me?
posted by Asian_Hunnie to Work & Money (21 answers total) 5 users marked this as a favorite
I have been at this job as HR coordinator for almost 3 months and I really like it there. I work with senior management to recruit applicants to fill vacancies for their department. I like everyone but I've always had a feeling this one manager didn't like me. She never smiled at me or said hi, she would always make me feel like I can do nothing right, and she usually gives my tasks to my supervisor instead of to me so that someone else can talk to me.
Boy did yesterday confirm my suspicions. She apparently had been documenting everything that I've done that bothered her and gave it to my supervisor! Coincidentally this is a week before my 3 month probationary period. I was so shocked and surprised that she didn't even talk to me first but went to my supervisor and blabbed.
Apparently I'm a know-it-all, challenge authority, and check up on her. Here are some incidents.
1. An African guy was getting ready to be interviewed by me. My supervisor walks in and closes my door saying "Betty" (let's call the manager that hates me Betty) doesn't want to interview him if he has a heavy accent and difficult to understand. I thought "wow, is that even legal?" I interview the man and he was difficult to understand but fluent. I told him I would call him in a week to see if he would go on to the next step of interviewing with the manager.
I later told the manager that he was willing to work weekends 3rd shift which has been vacant for sooo long and hard to fill so maybe give him a chance.
She looked at me like I made a mistake and said "well if you felt that way why did you not let me interview him? I'm busy, it wastes time trying to schedule him another day for me" I'm thinking "Dang it!! She told me to not pass him to her if he's hard to understand! I did as she said."
2. When an applicant is ready I take their hours and hand the manager a schedule to get their shadowing and training ready. One time she said she would have it ready by a date before their first day. Well the first day of the new hire starts and 5 days later no schedule. I called her and tried to be as nice as possible without nagging if she has it ready. She told me she forgot.
Later my supervisor comes in and says "did you tell Betty's boss on her?" I'm confused and said no and I had no idea what she was talking about! My supervisor looked skeptical but took my word for it. Apparently stupid Betty thinks I told her boss she forgot to do a schedule...paranoid!!
3. So she forgets to do another new hire schedule. I thought she maybe forgot again so I asked her. And apparently this means checking up on her and questions her authority and my trust in her to get a job done!! All I said was "hi did you receive my request for his schedule? Please let me know, thank you!"
4. Anther incident, an error was made on a new hire's schedule. The time is completely wrong and contradicts itself. He was confused so I said I would ask Betty. Betty got smart with me and seemed annoyed I pointed out her mistake. But again I tried to do it in a nice way, example "Hi, Betty. John Doe had a question about his schedule, it says 12-9 here but then underneath it says 3-8. Which should I tell him is correct? Thank you."
5. We had an interview set up for this lady who was hired on. But Betty agreed to interview her for a different position of the company in her dept. apparently she had that filled and didn't want to interview her anymore. I had that awkwardness of telling the lady in person "sorry she won't meet with you." And apparently it was my fault.
6. She made another mistake on the schedule. It tells the new hire to meet with someone else for orientation and not MY name. I'm afraid to correct her now because I'm afraid she'll get mad.
So my boss hears my side of the story but it seems like it is no use and it's all my fault. She gave me advice to just trust Betty she'll get her job done and roll with it. I don't tell Betty's boss everything she is doing wrong!! I get along with other senior managers and they make mistakes all the time such as forgetting an interview or paperwork but do I tattle?!! No! I'm so worried I will lose my job because of her!!!! They said I'm doing great but my relationship is shaky with her.
What do I do if my bosses take her side??! They like me but seem to choose her over me. But now I'm terrified of losing my job and making this manager upset.
Honestly, I don't know if being a social worker that deals with mental people is stressful but since she is manager of that and has 4 people quit a month I wonder what's that say about her.