Help me plan my backpacking trip, real-time!
February 16, 2014 7:25 PM Subscribe
I'm currently in Guatemala with a friend, and we have another ten weeks until our flight home from Panama City. How should we divide the rest of our time? Which countries should we visit? Specific considerations inside.
posted by alona to Travel & Transportation around Central, SC (3 answers total) 3 users marked this as a favorite
1. To get from Guatemala to Nicaragua, should we go through Honduras or El Salvador? Should we take some time to see both? Should we skip them altogether?
2. How much time would you recommend leaving for each of Costa Rica, Nicaragua and Panama?
3. Any recommendations for must-sees in the region?
1. We are two twenty-three year-old females, travelling on our own. We've been backpacking for over a month, we did Cuba and half of Mexico and now we're in Guatemala.
2. We are on a budget, so we'd rather spend less time in pricey places (although not skip them altogether, if they're worth it) and more time in cheaper places.
3. We enjoy a nice mix of about 70% nature, 30% city/country life (markets, museums, etc). We are both ex-officers in the military, so we don't mind, and even enjoy, a good hike or trek, and we're definitely not spoiled when it comes to accommodation.
4. Our Spanish is basic but usable. We're thinking of doing a week at a language school in Antigua, Guatemala.
5. While we are adventurous, we do want to minimize dangers, and we understand that this is an issue in Honduras and El Salvador.
6. Contrary to many travelers in the region, we are not surfers/scuba divers and so aren't looking for the best waves or coral reefs.
CURRENT PLAN: A week around Lake Atitlan, a week in Antigua, and a week or more doing treks in the jungles around Flores and Tikal. We'd like to have about a week in Costa Rica, and a few in Nicaragua, but we're very flexible.