Away We Go - Grandparents Included!
February 15, 2014 3:23 PM Subscribe
My partner and I are pregnant and looking for a place to make our permanent home. The sitch? My parents are coming with us. And while we think it's pretty awesome of them, it's making location hunting that much more complicated.
posted by givennamesurname to Home & Garden (19 answers total) 3 users marked this as a favorite
Our ideal area would be:
1. Kid Friendly - great public schools, lots of activities, low crime, etc.
2. Queer Friendly - diverse/liberal population, other non-traditional families, etc.
3. Senior Friendly - easy to use public transit and/or compact walkability, good hospital/health care system, etc.
4. Not Super Expensive - cost of living wise or real estate wise (assume we have an sufficient but not superfluous income and my parents have a modest but comfortable one)
Our ideal area doesn't have to be:
1. In the USA (though having an established English speaking/expat population would be a plus, especially for grandparental comfort)
2. Any particular geography/locale (we don't give a fig about climate, how close it is to the ocean, etc.)
Our ideal area can't be:
1. SoCal (because we're special snowflakes)
While there are lots of hits in our general searches for any one of our ideals, there's very little overlap for two, and absolutely none for all three. So what we'd ask of you, dear Metafilter, is to suggest places you know of that meet at least two (three would be *amazing*) of our criteria to help us narrow it down a bit. We'll take it from there. <3