Time to play What's That Book!

YA/children's book featuring a magic-brownie baking witch. More details after the jump.

Asking for a friend here, who has been coming up short in her own searches. Here's her description:

When I was somewhere between 8-12, I read a book about a boy who is in elementary or middle school. The school is doing a fundraiser and he raffles off yard work. Unfortunately for him, the old lady hermit (that everyone thinks is a witch) wins the bid. He goes to her house to do the yard work and she gives him some snacks. I think they were brownies? These "special brownies" (No-I'm not making this up...) turn him into whatever he thinks of when he eats them. (Turns out, she *is* a witch, but is actually pretty cool.) Somewhere in the story, he turns into a rat, I believe. That's all I got. Anybody know what book I'm talking about?
posted by polymath to Media & Arts (6 answers total) 2 users marked this as a favorite

No Such Thing as a Witch? Fudge, not brownies, though.
posted by not that girl at 7:43 PM on February 11 [1 favorite]

Might be worth browsing through Ruth Chew's other books if it's not that one. Thematically they fit.
posted by not that girl at 7:46 PM on February 11

Seconding Ruth Chew!
posted by corey flood at 8:16 PM on February 11

Your description has some similar elements to Just Only John, but it's not quite right. If it's the book your friend wants, the illustrations will probably confirm it.
posted by donnagirl at 8:35 PM on February 11

It has biscuits/cake, a small boy and a witch...! Margaret Mary's The Witch in the Cherry Tree?
posted by teststrip at 11:34 AM on February 12

Thanks all! She figured it out via a librarian friend. For future reference, it was Witch Lady Mystery by Carol Beach York
posted by polymath at 8:43 PM on February 12

« Older I always thought my maternal g...   |  Looking for recommendations fo... Newer »