Join 3,557 readers in helping fund MetaFilter (Hide)

Chapter Trails
February 11, 2014 1:24 PM   Subscribe

Is there a formal term for the hyphen separated list of keywords and phrases that you sometimes see at the beginning of chapters in a book? These usually form a sequential summary of the chapter ahead. I've most often seen this in older books, but recently in Robert MacFarlane's, "The Old Ways".
posted by spudsilo to Writing & Language (2 answers total) 6 users marked this as a favorite
posted by Confess, Fletch at 2:11 PM on February 11

The prolix chapter outlines so favoured by Victorian novelists are, I think, called arguments. (Or, at least, that's what the Text Encoding Initiative Consortium calls them...)
posted by theodolite at 2:35 PM on February 11 [2 favorites]

« Older I've been working as a recepti...   |  The lady and I would like go a... Newer »

You are not logged in, either login or create an account to post comments