What kind of Resource Management Tool would help my company?
January 24, 2014 8:31 AM Subscribe
I'm a Project Manager at a web company that makes websites, apps, etc. We are pretty small so any solution needs to be affordable and easy to use. There are so many
project management tools out there and we have evaluated many. I have a short list of things I'm looking for which I'll outline inside but mainly there seems to be a lack of resource management at an hourly level. So, either that is too high level for the price/ease of the tools we are looking at, or people are managing that some other way. Data and management geeks, please help!!
posted by amanda to Computers & Internet (8 answers total) 4 users marked this as a favorite
So, the basic idea is, we charge hourly for our work. One tool we like a lot, Wrike, has a task assignment tool which allows you to put a date range in which shows up on a Gantt chart style calendar. This is pretty darn good. However, we'd love to associate hours. Example:
- Diane is doing backend development on the project, she has 4 working weeks to complete her work. However, she has been assigned 80 billable hours for the task.
- 4 weeks x 40 hours/week = 160 total working hours available
- 80 billable hours = 50% utilization
That last part, in bold, that's the data we want to see represented in the tool but it seems elusive. What can we do to create this data easily using standard tools? I'm pretty good with excel but my noodling around trying to make this yielded a whole mess of not much.
Bonus question -- we are looking for these top features in a PM tool so if you have a favorite, please recommend!
- Task creation and tracking
- Gantt view for schedules
- Decent reports
- Interested in tying in with Git
- And: resource management at an hourly level