Radiography Jobs?

I'm looking into changing my life up a bit, and due to recent events, the idea of radiography came to the fore as an option. Our local tech school has an associate radiography degree, is this a good degree to have? Is there anything else one needs to be considered? I am wondering if anyone has any experiences as a radiographer (in particular MRI, but X-Ray or whatever other imaging out there is also nice to hear about as well)... What sort of hours is common? In terms of city, I currently live in a 200k+ city (500k+ metro), and there are a fair number of hospitals which are considered top-tier in the area. What sorts of workload does one have as a radiographer? Is there a lot of required overtime? What about competition for job openings? What sorts of skills are the most important? What are the difficult parts of being a radiographer? What about entry level vs top-tier (in terms of job responsibilities, skillsets and other things). In short... What is good to know about a radiography job if one wants to pursue it, and what are some pitfalls to avoid?
posted by symbioid to Work & Money (2 answers total) 8 users marked this as a favorite

This is purely anecdotal, but I have a friend who recently completely a radiography program in the Boston area (a global medical hub). And apparently he is having a difficult time finding a job--lots of competition. So you might want to do some research on the job market--independent of whatever the school offering the program tells you.
posted by Seymour Zamboni at 9:59 AM on January 12

I was hoping that an actual rad tech or some other type of clinician would show up to answer this, but here are my impressions as somebody who works in the business side of health care:
posted by strangely stunted trees at 10:09 AM on January 12 [1 favorite]

« Older My husband likes fine dress sh...   |  My computer won't play a dvd u... Newer »