Need ideas for chocolate-flavored olive oil

I was gifted with a bottle of chocolate-flavored olive oil. What are some of your favorite recipes or uses for the stuff? I don't want it to gather dust in my cupboard.
posted by Rosie M. Banks to Food & Drink (14 answers total) 2 users marked this as a favorite

I think you are pretty much REQUIRED to drizzle it on fresh, juicy fruit - strawberries, raspberries, split-open figs and the like.
posted by julthumbscrew at 6:43 AM on December 19, 2013 [1 favorite]

Find a recipe for olive oil cake or cookies, and try it there.
posted by dywypi at 6:44 AM on December 19, 2013

I often make brownies with olive oil. It's a really subtle difference in taste, but I'd bet it would be even better with the chocolate-flavored olive oil.

Also, what about trying to make a chocolate focaccia? Here's a recipe that I'm now thinking about making just from looking it up!
posted by xingcat at 7:01 AM on December 19, 2013

I agree with baking. I often use olive oil in any baking recipe that calls for oil so anywhere that calls for oil and would be okay with the addition of chocolate. Do take a good sniff of the oil though and make sure it smells good because that is the flavor that you'll have. Olive oil has a variation of intensity in flavor and that will carry through to your recipe. I would do an olive oil cake.
posted by RoadScholar at 7:06 AM on December 19, 2013

Chocolate mousse, chocolate olive oil cake, olive oil granola, olive oil ice cream, olive oil ricotta pound cake, olive oil ricotta cake with blueberry-plum coulis.

I might also mix it with balsamic vinegar to pour over berries, drizzle it plain over gelato or sorbet, or even use it to saute my mirepoix for a batch of chili (always excellent with cocoa powder or a bit of dark chocolate mixed into it).
posted by divined by radio at 7:12 AM on December 19, 2013

I think it would be wonderful to serve with fresh baguette to dip, and some cheese. The Wisconsin Cheese Council suggests some cheese to pair with chocolate.

You could also do a more sweet-friendly dukkah, with ground nuts, maybe some finely shaved white chocolate, cinnamon, anise...

When I started writing this post, I thought, "Chocolate olive oil? Who would want that?" but now I want some.
posted by BrashTech at 7:12 AM on December 19, 2013

I bet this Blood Orange Olive Oil Cake would be delicious with chocolate olive oil.
posted by gatorae at 7:23 AM on December 19, 2013

chocolate olive oil cake -- actually any of the chocolate quickbreads that use oil should work well with yours.
posted by fingersandtoes at 7:40 AM on December 19, 2013

Biscotti is very easy to make, and uses olive oil. I have a delicious lemon-almond biscotti recipe, memail me if you want it. I'm sure it could easily be adapted to chocolate-almond.
posted by yawper at 8:01 AM on December 19, 2013

how about gnocchi tossed in the oil with some toasted nuts, cinnamon and nutmeg, topped with a little vanilla gelato?
posted by tealsocks at 8:25 AM on December 19, 2013 [3 favorites]

I've used a chocolate balsamic to make really delicious salad dressing. I assume chocolate oil, with either plain or a complementary flavour of vinegar (try blood orange!) would be very tasty too.
posted by Pomo at 8:35 AM on December 19, 2013 [1 favorite]

Olive oil pie crust for a strawberry rhubarb pie!
posted by thatone at 8:37 AM on December 19, 2013

If you do ice cream, there are some good recipes for olive oil ice cream out there. I bet chocolate-flavored olive oil would bring an interesting taste.

David Lebovitz is my go-to.
posted by duffell at 10:41 AM on December 19, 2013

Thank you all very much! These are all great ideas. I've never used the stuff before and didn't want it to go to waste.
posted by Rosie M. Banks at 1:54 PM on December 19, 2013

« Older My SO applied for, was intervi...   |  I'm looking into buying a new ... Newer »