What should go in my mini-inventor's box?
October 24, 2013 11:33 AM Subscribe
If you were to fill a 4' x 3' x 2' box with awesome and fun and mostly not messy
things for a five year old to invent with, what would you fill it with?
posted by Nanukthedog to sports, hobbies, & recreation (18 answers total) 27 users marked this as a favorite
My son has always constructed, towers, sculptures, museums, swords, bolt action crayon launchers (seriously - it was met with high praise and don't do that again), garages, robots, fire trucks and an assortment of other items out of other things in the house. We've got an arts and crafts box, so we've got glue, pipe cleaners, construction paper, buttons, scissors, and so on... this is an invention box - not an arts and crafts box.
There are a few problems that currently exist with what he does now:
1. he is routinely using things inappropriately, which means they get damaged.
2. he is using other people's things.
3. he sometimes is trying to use all of a given toy or item.
3. he has a hard time if his sister wants to use a toy or item he's using.
4. he wants whatever he makes to last forever... (but not really)... but the feeling of it makes cleanup and the impending doom of a two year-old-on-a-milk-bender into an immediate traumatic event.
Things that I've identified so far:
* a few wooden boards, with holes drilled at varying locations (He's got kiddie nuts and bolts which fit the holes and he should be able to connect them together that way.
* 1 1/4" PVC pipe, various length with a few connectors
Any other suggestions would be awesome - anything that I can very quickly pull out, and let him go nuts would be great.
As a reminder - he's five... glue is potentially a bad thing, paper gets crumpled and so on.