Do I need professional help?
October 21, 2013 1:01 PM Subscribe
Setting up an LLC for the first time. Do I need an attorney or accountant? Or both?
posted by kdern to work & money (6 answers total) 8 users marked this as a favorite
I am setting up a freelance consulting business as an LLC. I have never done this before, but I understand that registering an LLC is fairly simple. I do want to make sure I'm doing everything right so I am wondering if I should meet with an accountant or a laywer. And if so, which one?
My questions would be about:
• What type of LLC I want to be.
• Filing the correct paperwork to establish the LLC.
• What kind of financial records and receipts to keep during the year.
• Understanding how to handle finances and bank accounts (LLC vs personal finance).
• Understanding the "doing business as" options (I have not decided on a company name yet).
• Possibly having someone review a contract I am signing with a larger host company that I will be affiliated with. (This may not be necessary - the contract is pretty straightforward.)
• Should I have someone do the LLC registration for me? Or do it myself?
Thanks for any advice.