2 weeks in Turkey - how do we use our time wisely?
October 16, 2013 12:04 PM Subscribe
The DingoWife and I will be honeymooning in Turkey this 2-16 November, and based on inputs to our last question
, we'll be doing it on our own, sans-tour package. Now we would love input as we pin down our itinerary. Can you help?
posted by DingoMutt to travel & transportation around Turkey (13 answers total) 2 users marked this as a favorite
We will be arriving in Istanbul on 2 November, and have ~2 weeks to make our way around to as much as we can reasonably see. We're primarily interested in the historical sites, interesting geography & beaches (to whatever extent beaches are feasible in November), and museums, and hope to rely exclusively on public transportation - if we HAD to hire a car at some point we'd do so, but I'd really rather let someone else do the driving. We plan to stick to the west coast for the most part, with the possible exception of a trip to Cappadocia.
So for right now our very rough itinerary looks like this - if you're familiar with these areas, can you please help troubleshoot, suggest places we don't want to miss, etc.?
- 2 Nov: Arrive in Istanbul; fly out to Cappadocia
- 3-5 Nov: Cappadocia (Kaymakli? Goreme? I'm assuming we ought to book a tour for this area)
- 6 Nov: Leave Cappadocia (by plane or train); head to Izmir
- 6-10 Nov: Use Izmir as our base to visit Pamukkale, Selcuk/Ephesus, Bergama/Pergamon
- 10 Nov: Bus to Canakkale; explore Canakkale
- 11 Nov: Troy (I am aware that some travelers say Troy isn't worth it; however, this is one of our "must sees" - no need for warnings on this front)
- 12 Nov: Canakkale to Istanbul
- 12-16 Nov: Istanbul
- 16: Depart Istanbul for home
At a high level, does this look reasonable? We're trying to maximize the amount of time we have to see things versus the time we spend traveling, but are there places we're really missing out on here - should we go from Cappadocia down to Antalya before Izmir (and if so, where should we cut back)? Does it make sense to base ourselves for a few days in Izmir to see the sights mentioned above, or would we be better off traveling from city to city? Are there places where getting around by public transport will be difficult?
Once we've hammered down our itinerary we'll be booking hotels in each place, so if you have any budget-to-mid-range suggestions on that front we'd love to hear it (our budget, minus tickets to/from Istanbul, is ~$3000 USD for the both of us). Finally, any other tips you have for first time travelers doing it on their own in Turkey would be much appreciated. Thanks!