Garbage Out, Garbage In
August 30, 2013 1:34 PM Subscribe
The HOA representatives here have decided without owners' vote and with very limited input that trash cans/garbage bins will be kept inside garages rather than in the individual outdoor alcoves specifically designed to conceal them.
posted by vers to home & garden (16 answers total) 3 users marked this as a favorite
The reason given is appearances.
I am opposed to this, reasons given below. The announcement was just made a few days ago, and goes into effect -- with fines for owners with outdoor bins -- in just a couple of days. It's based on a very loose interpretation of the association rules (no clutter in common areas, etc.) I've already sent a message to the board as have a few of my neighbors. I'm looking for ways to either fight this new requirement or solutions that skirt the issue.
Reasons for opposition:
- Our garbage pick up is just once a week.
- I do not want to attract vermin and insects into my garage.
- I walk my dogs and pick up after them 3-4 times a day -- I am averse to carrying the garage door opener on our walks, I am averse to leaving the poop bags outdoors, and I am averse to bringing bags of feces into the garage.
- I do not want the smell of dog shit permeating my house. Ditto for used kitty litter, chicken and fish remains. I don't make a lot of trash, but it tends to be all smelly sorts that stink worse as they rot for up to a week.
- This measure will discourage other dog owners in the development from picking up after their dogs, which is already a problem. Let's not add another level of inconvenience to those that do.
- In the summer months, we have heat and humidity -- the trash will stink no matter how tightly it's bagged. In winter, snow piles up against the garage doors and it's going to be an exercise in futility to get garbage bins out.