Help me identify and banish this funkyfunky odor
August 24, 2013 9:37 PM Subscribe
My house smells like vomit. There is no vomit in my house. It has been driving me insane for several months now and I must. kill. the. smell.
posted by raspberrE to home & garden (24 answers total) 3 users marked this as a favorite
For several months now, I have been getting whiffs of an odor in our house that I can only describe as vomit... sour, but not musty or putrid. Just sour and gross and stomach-acidy and... vomit. I have a pretty sensitive nose and for a long time thought I was imagining it, but now even my smell-impaired husband can smell it.
- Google tells me that maybe it is coming from mold in the AC drip pan or a clogged AC drain pipe, but we've checked both of those and they are clean/clear.
- It is not the smell of dead animal. I've smelled dead animal before and this isn't it.
- Bizarrely, I smell it most often in the bathroom when the vent fan is running, which doesn't make sense because the fan should be sucking air out. I also often smell it in the hallway where the attic hatch is, but this hallway is also right outside the bathroom so maybe that's why.
- Hardwood floors... only one rug in the house and it's definitely not that.
- It seems to come and go, but there is not a consistent time of day, week, or month that it comes or goes. And when the stink is there, it is kind of everywhere in the house.
- Our house has no basement, and though the house itself is old, basically all the "guts" (drywall, HVAC, plumbing, kitchen) are less than 2 years old.
- Oh, and unless one of the dogs managed to actually vomit behind/under something (unlikely because the house is very small, I have looked behind/under everything, and the smell isn't localized), it's not actually vomit.
I have cleaned everything I can think of... washed slipcovers, sheets, curtains, deodorized rugs, mopped floors, wiped out cabinets. I can not tell where the smell is coming from or what it is. It's just in the air. I am so embarrassed when people come over to the house.
Please help me find the smell and kill it!!!