Please recommend a good, cheap printer
August 23, 2013 9:08 PM Subscribe
I need a cheap, reliable printer with cheap(ish) replacement ink that can print in black even if other colors are out. Mac, if it matters.
posted by Camofrog to computers & internet (26 answers total) 25 users marked this as a favorite
My pile of dead printers just got a little bigger. The latest addition was just bought at auction for $15. I should have quickly checked the reviews first, because I now see that it is possibly the most hated printer in history, an HP Officejet 8500. It's out of ink, of course. And when it's out of ink, IT DOESN'T EVEN SCAN. I don't want to spend another $70 on ink so I can own the world's most hated and frustrating printer. So it's going straight onto the heap.
And I still need a new printer. Here's the deal:
1. I don't even want scanning, copying, or color printing. Can you even buy a black-only printer?
2. Because all I need to do is print out black-only text documents and UPS shipping labels.
3. I must be able to print in black even if other colors are out.
4. I'm using a Mac, though I doubt that matters these days.
5. Ink cartridges should be cheap and available in generic versions.
That's it. Who loves their cheap printer?