Advice on getting out of the rut of Disney World vacations
July 28, 2013 2:18 PM Subscribe
My wife and I went on honeymoon to Disney World, then with the kids, then without the grown kids. I can't tell you how many times we've gone over the years, at least 15. Obviously we love the place, but we are wondering if folks could suggest other venues with some of the same advantages and attractions so we could mix it up a bit and not go every other year. Details within.
I admit it, once we went twice in the same year. I've even taken the Behind the Scenes and Segway tours.
What we love:
- once you're there and park your car everything else is healthy walking or (for the most part) good transit, and pretty safe
- we usually stay in the Polynesian and so everything from dining to purchases and park entrance is all on a single plastic card, it's like a cruise without the ship
- clean, polite staff, quality food
- manageable crowds (at least if you know the times to go like we do)
- interesting or at least relaxing experiences
- clean pools and beaches,
- EPCOT "Street" performers (England, Italy, etc.)
- Illuminations at EPCOT is great (combo of music, fireworks, lasers/pyro)
- Downtown Disney at night (entertainment, atmosphere)
Snow flake details:
- I don't like to fly at all, so we always drive from NJ to Disney World, we have it down to a science...alternatives should be comparable driving distance or less from NJ
- We don't go on roller coaster rides, stuff like Test Track or Pirates of the Caribbean is our speed, Mission Space Orange or Soaring is on the edge of our comfort zone.
I know nothing is going to be exactly the same, the above is to give you an idea of what we like. If it turns out nothing really fits the bill, that's cool. Just figured we'd put the question out there.