Book Award Recommendations?
June 4, 2013 6:09 AM Subscribe
My wife and I are starting a "book club" for the two of us. The plan is to read an award winning book each month. The first month we'll read a book that won an award in 2012, the second month an award-winner from 2011 and so on.
There are many, many book awards to pick from so here's the question: What book awards do we use to determine the "nominees" for each month?
posted by John Frum to Media & Arts (19 answers total) 16 users marked this as a favorite
We'd like to have, say, 6-10 book awards that we use to create the short-list each month. We're interested in reading books from a large variety of categories - fiction, non-fiction, mystery, young adult, science fiction, etc.
Here's some possibilities we've considered so far:
- Booker Prize
- Pulitzer Prize (but which version?)
- National Book Award (but again which one?)
- Newberry Medal Winner (children's lit)
- Hugo Award for Best Novel (sci-fi/fantasy)
- James Beard Award for Writing and Literature (food)
- Printz Award (young adult lit)
- Edgar Allen Poe Award for Best Novel (mysteries)
Other recommendations? Obscure and or unique awards are encouraged. Thanks.