It's like winning the lottery... almost.
May 9, 2013 7:57 AM Subscribe
My partner and I have just been offered a large amount of money to leave our NYC apartment. Our plan is to pull up stakes and move to my home state. We have
to make a decision by tomorrow. However, I've also just had a hinky breast mammogram/sonogram and am scheduled for a biopsy next week. Am I making a major mistake in quitting my job, going on COBRA, and moving cross country when I've got a potential health issue on the line?
posted by fuzzywuzzysock to Health & Fitness (47 answers total) 4 users marked this as a favorite
I moved to NYC in early 2001 and met my partner in 2004. I have a solid, loving relationship, and a good job with a well-known NGO. However, a series of health issues spanning 2008-2010 left me wanting to move back to my home state and be closer to my family. Now my health problems are mostly resolved (I thought), but my priorities have shifted, and I am tired of the NYC rat race. My partner came around to the idea, and we started planning. I've done extensive research on housing costs, cost of living, job market and moving expenses. We have a solid plan, and financially, it makes sense. And I really, really want to move.
Last week, our landlord offered us a very large sum of money to move out of our rent-controlled apartment. It's life-changing money. It's enough money to pay for the move, cars, and a house outright in my home state. We are in the midst of negotiations now, and it's very time sensitive deal. They want our answer by Friday. We would probably need to leave our apartment by the end of June at the latest. The plan is that I would quit my job and go on COBRA until I get a new job in my home state (where there is a decent job market for my skills). My partner is self-employed and his income situation wouldn't change much, and I cover insurance for both of us.
The Crisis: Last week, I got my second mammogram. I just turned 40, and have no history of breast cancer in my family. However, I was called back for further imaging, and the radiologist has detected a small amount (less than 2mm) of "debris" in a milk duct, and I am scheduled for a biopsy on Monday. The soonest I will get the pathology back is end of next week. It could be nothing, or it could be something requiring treatment. I currently have excellent health insurance with my job.
So what. the. fuck. do we do? We have to give an answer to the landlord before I know the results of the biopsy. My doctors say they can't give me advice until the pathology is back.
Is it crazy for me to consider quitting my current job and going on COBRA while I have this breast issue looming?
I basically see these possible scenarios for continuing with the move:
Large chance that it's nothing, we breath a sigh of relief and start packing.
Medium chance that it's a small DCIS and that delaying treatment by 6-10 weeks really won't harm anything. If I do require treatment (based on my research) it would likely be a lumpectomy and maybe radiation. This wouldn't significantly impair my job search, and I would be re-employed in 3-6 months (our move plan easily allows for this window of me trying to find a job and staying on COBRA).
Small chance that it's something that would require a more extensive surgery/recovery, possibly delaying my job search and extending the length of time we stay on expensive COBRA and I'm not contributing to the expenses, eating into our buy-out money.
Tiny chance that it's something mega bad that will require immediate treatment, but we still have to leave our apartment, I won't be able to help pack, and we start burning through our buy-out money on a sublet for an undetermined about of time, reducing the financial incentive for moving in the first place (although I would be able to keep my job and full benefits).
Things I'm not considering here? Experiences? Advice?