Should I go to the ER? Calf pain after travel but with snowflake!
March 25, 2013 11:23 AM Subscribe
I flew to Seattle for a couple of days. I climbed a lot of stairs. My calf hurts. Do I need to go to the ER? Doctors' advice in particular appreciated.
posted by Frowner to health & fitness (14 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite
So I know that calf pain after air travel is a big DVT symptom. However:
1. Flight out and flight back were each about 3 hours long and I got up once during each flight. I did not drink as much water as websites recommend (One to two cups per hour of flight time! Seriously?) but I did drink water during the flights. I also wiggled my ankles every twenty minutes or so. I am short and did not feel especially cramped in my seat. Supposedly, DVT risk rises with long flights of more than four hours, not so much with short flights.
2. In Seattle, I climbed a lot of stairs and hills in a one day period - way more than I ever do here.
3. My calf was a little sore the day of the flight but before I was even at the airport.
4. My calf is a little tender to the touch but not red, swollen or warm.
5. I do not have any of the other DVT risk factors except that I'm kind of fat.
So do I need to go to the ER right away? I would rather not, as I was in the ER last week for something totally unrelated and hate to be a frequent flyer.
YANAD, or if YA, YANMD.